Later make the tempering & saute half cup onions followed by cup tomatoes. Place the patties without over crowding. Next day the dried green pea should double in size. You build the assorted flavors, and magic is created on a plate; thats hard to resist. Happy to know your family liked it! Finish of with some sev (crunchy gram flour noodles) and squeeze of lemon juice. 3. When ready to plate, chop the onions, green chilies, and cilantro. Thank you keep writing. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside fried potato patties are set on a plate with homemade ragda which is a savory curry made from dried peas and spices. Although it tastes best when prepared fresh, you may easily make it in an Instant Pot if you soak the peas while preparing the other components. They turn out great. I made ragda patties following the recipe to the T and turned out amazing. Place the patties without over crowding. Heat a large non-stick griddle and spread half of the oil on it. Recommend a restaurant with good Ragda pattice. Heat a 1 - 2 tablespoon ghee in a non stick pan over medium heat. Thaw and heat until complete hot and bubbly. Add the onion and fry for 7-8 minutes or until they soften. Patties being prepared by street vendor in Powai Ragda curry contained in a giant dry ball of ragda See also [ edit] Masala Curry powder I would really like to know if there is an app so I dont have to look out for Google help every time thanks. Making ragda patties on a weeknight will be a breeze with some planning and prep. also add 1 potato, tsp turmeric and tsp salt, 3 cup water. Thank you. 2.Drizzle the tamarind-date, mint coriander chutney & red chilli garlic chutney. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves. Ragda Pattice has been my favorite chaat dish for as long as I can remember. Roll the mix into a ball and then gently flatten the mixture. I like to opt for similar approach when I make it at home. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. Ground spices I use a combination of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, and black salt or regular salt. Add boiled peas to the spice mix. To a bowl or pot, add tamarind, dates, jaggery & red chilli powder. 7. However, you might stack the fried patties around the outside of the round tawa and fry a fresh batch in the center. If it is sticky then add more bread crumbs or poha powder. Add the peas, brown sugar and 2 cups of water. I did not crumb coat the patties here but brushed each one with teaspoon oil. Delivery & Pickup Options - 47 reviews of Kadhai Kitchen "We are honored to be present at the opening ceremony of Kadhai Kitchen. The soup will be very runny. Pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat. Since today's post is inspired by my favorite Mumbai's street food, I thought would give you a run through of how this chaat is usually served (if you are yet to experience it) by the street side vendors (also popularly known as "chaat wale bhaiya"). Thanks for all your recipes. For a crisp texture, I rolled my patties in 2 tablespoons poha powder & pressed them slightly. (I used the store bought ready made one). Pre-made chaat chutneys may also be used.). Divide the potato mixture to 8 portions. Yes you can use. To make the powder, add half cup poha to a grinder/ chutney jar and make a fine powder. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan and spread it. Of course, this recipe of Ragda Pattice has to be the one! Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the valve. To make poha powder, add half cup poha to a grinder and make a slightly coarse powder. Allow pressure cooker to whistle once, reduce the stove to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Close the lid of the instant pot, seal the pressure valve and set to manual mode 25 minutes. Soaking for the ultimate soft ragda Dried white peas/ safed matar are soaked overnight or for at least 6- 8 hours to attain the smoothest texture. Thank you for the yummiest recipes. In a 3 litre pressure cooker, add the soaked white peas with the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafoetida, oil and salt. Open the lid and check the potatoes with a fork or knife. Next we will begin making the patties. Assemble only when you are ready to eat else the patties become soft. Prepare the chutneys before starting to make ragda patties. Allow the ragda to simmer for 2-3 minutes over medium flame. Keep aside. (Depending on the quality of the white peas the time may vary). 14. Mix it well (preferably with hands) so all is well combined almost like a dough. Soak poha in lukewarm water until soft. Alternately you may pressure cook them for 4 to 6 whistles depending on the size. without these. To thicken the sauce more, cook for another 12 15 minutes. Saute the aromatic spices for a few seconds. This varies according to the size and type of your stove. Crispy fried tikkis are topped with cooked chhole along with chopped onions, chutneys and other chaat. Drain all the water from the potatoes after they are cooked. Deliciousness does not end there! The street vendors make their ragda a bit dry and arrange it in heap around the boundary of large tava (griddle) or deep pan. Rinse 1 cup white peas well under running water and soak them for 8 hours or overnight. We usually start off by soaking the chickpeas overnight and quickly pressure cook the next day and kick start making the pattice! How to Make Ragda Patties (Stepwise photos). I always season my pattice with mild spices because too many spices can make the patties overpowering and affect the delicate flavor of ragda. Add tamarind & jaggery (or 1 to 2 tbsps sweet tamarind chutney). Hi Maddy, Mix well the potatoes once again. The peas will double in size after the soak time. cornstarch (cornflour), 3 4 tbsp sunflower oil or even ghee, as needed for cooking the patties, 1/2 cup cilantro chutney or even green chutney, 1/2 cup tamarind, date, or even jaggery chutney, 1/2 cup plain yogurt (curd) or yogurt with a teaspoon of sugar whisked, 1/2 cup onions, coarsely chopped or even 1 medium onion will work, 1 tsp red chili powder, or as needed, if desired, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, toasted, or as needed, 12 tsp lime juice, or as needed optional, 1 to 2 tbsp shredded or coarsely diced raw mango (optional and seasonal). 10 - 12 mins on high heat) and mash well. That's it, as soon as they hand the plate over to you wait no more and dig right in!! Boil the potatoes until just done without making them too mushy. This curry has a tendency to thicken, so adjust consistency before serving. Seal with the lid and the pressure valve positioned in the sealing mode. Reduce flame and cook on . Flatten them, shape into round patties and set aside. Mix well. 15. We like the plain version which I shared in the recipe since the chutneys are good enough to flavor up the ragda patties. Fixing the thickening Ragda As the ragda cools, it continues to thicken. 23. For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card. To boil them in a pot, cover the potatoes with water and boil them just until fork tender. Soak the white peas or safed matar for 6-8 hours or overnight. The mixture must be non-sticky. Ragda pattice is one of Indias famous street food, and growing up, we often ate Ragda chaat at our local vendor (chaat wala), who would assemble the ragda right in front of us and serve it, and we loved every bit of it. When the pressure releases completely, open the lid and check if the peas are done. It gets thickened as it cools, so switch off accordingly. Ragda patties is a famous Mumbai Street food where a gravy made with white peas is served over crisp potato pattice. Add as much sev as you want to taste. 20. Transfer the rinsed peas to a clean bowl. Turned out good. However, this post is about Ragda Patties, often spelled mysteriously as Ragda Pattice, something that I tried for the time in Kailash Parbat Singapore and kinda sorta fell in love with. 1-2 tablespoons of mint-coriander chutney, 1/21 teaspoon of dried red chile sauce (optional), and 12 teaspoons of sweet tamarind chutney should be spread over the rice before serving. Cook for another 2-3 minutes at a low flame. Starchy legumes are a rich source of minerals, vitamin- B, and protein. Ragda is similar to the North Indian Chole tikki and Bangalore Masala puri chaat but here we use white peas for ragda whereas to make masala puri, green peas are used. 19) Mix well and it will come together like a dough. The three chutneys contribute so much in the taste and flavor department, that you do not need to heavily spice the curry and the patties. We LOVE Indian street food and hope you all do too! Method. 4. I made the ragda, boiled the potatoes for pattice, made the tamarind chutney all at one time in the pressure cooker. Then lower the flame and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and some water. Saute for 1 minute & pour water. Here is an incredible recipe for Ragda Patties Mumbai street food that will win your hearts craving for a delicious indulgence! I love to make this recipe for potlucks and parties and its always loved!! The onions will lose their crunch, and tomatoes and sev will become soggy, making them look distasteful and unpleasant to eat. Ragda Patties is one of the most famous street chaat of Mumbai. Plus is vegan and gluten-free! Also if the curry looks too thick, thin it out using cup of water or as needed. Once frozen, divide them using parchment paper in a ziplock bag to keep them from sticking together. ? However it may vary depending on the size & model of your cooker. Let the mashed potatoes cool at room temperature. Serve immediately. Cook the patties at medium-low heat, turning them frequently until golden brown. Taste test and add more salt if needed. In a plate or small deep dish / bowl, add the patties, pour a ladle of the warm ragda mixture on top followed by some sweet chutney, green chutney. Finally, dress the ragda with sev, cilantro leaves, and pomegranate seeds (optional). Add potato patties to the pan, do not overcrowd the pan. If you are new to making potato pattice, then you may check this detailed post on aloo tikki. Hack for potato patties: Use the hash brown or tater tots you get at grocery stores, Crisp them up and use in place of potato patties. Adding curd is optional. If you want your ragda to be like a typical homestyle curry, then pressure cook the peas with just water. I used my IP and made the imli chutney too. Every bite is bursting with amazing flavors and textures for a dish that leaves you wanting more and more. Thank you! Check your inbox or spam folder to confirm your subscription. Now, grease your hands with oil and while taking a ball-sized mix in your hand, shape it into a pattice. Cook on Manual (Hi) for 10 mins followed by Natural Pressure Release. Cook the potatoes and mash them well. Cook for 2-3 whistles on medium-high heat and then lower and cook for another 5-10 mins. 21) Heat the oil for shallow frying in a pan on medium heat. Therefore, before adding it to the pattice mixture, make sure to squeeze out water from the soaked poha. Cover and set it aside. Drain the peas and rinse them under tap water. If you want you can also add more garam masala & salt at this stage. Make Potato Pattice: Mash the potatoes well and add ginger+garlic paste, ground coriander, ground cumin, chaat masala and salt. You could add ginger garlic to these if you prefer these spicy. add 2 bay leaf, tsp cloves, 3 pods cardamom, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp fennel and pinch hing. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tea spoon. Saute everything for a minute. Pour 2 to 3cups water and give a good stir. Boil all of these with water until soft. Ragda Pattice is a popular Indian street food made of crispy potato patties (cakes) topped with white peas curry, sweet and spicy chutneys, onions, tomato, sev (crispy gram flour noodles, cilantro and spices. That goes over top of crispy patties. Therefore, prepare the ragda according to the number of people. Finy chop the onion, ginget, garlic and tomato. Rub the grains between your fingers to get rid of all the residues. Let the Instant Pot cook and cool completely on it's own and open when valve drops. Just thaw overnight or in microwave and use. Welcome to Dassana's Veg Recipes. Then place the patties on it. The dish is finished with a sprinkling of spice powders and crunchy fried gram flour vermicelli (sev) for more great textures. Note that I prefer to cook the dried white peas and the potatoes together in the Instant pot to save time. Serve the ragda patties as soon as theyre finished being prepared. Here I have used a Instant pot. Add the soaked white peas to an Instant pot. Mix well (preferably with hands) so all is well combined almost like a dough. Set aside the ground spice powders chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, rock salt/black salt. Tip: To effortlessly mash potatoes, always mash them while they are warm or hot. Stir in Garam Masala just before removing from heat. You may also prepare the ragda ahead of time (a day or two) and chill or freeze it in individual portion containers for later use. Do so in batches so that the pattice gets space to fry without breaking when being flipped. Plus its one of those recipes where everyone can customize to their liking making it a crowd pleaser recipe! Your comments and reviews make my day, and they also help others find my recipe online. Mix well. These are crispy on top and soft inside making them melt in mouth. Soak the dried white peas overnight (8 hours) in enough water so they are well under water even when they swell. Instagram, By Dassana AmitLast Updated: June 23, 2021, Vegetarian#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * { fill: #E8C32A; }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-33 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-33); }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-50 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-50); }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-66 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-66); }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-33 stop { stop-color: #E8C32A; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-50 stop { stop-color: #E8C32A; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-1-66 stop { stop-color: #E8C32A; }4.84 from 25 votes 63 Comments. For the Pattice - mash the boiled potatoes, add salt, red chill powder, cornflour and coriander leaves. 18) Add salt, sugar, lemon juice, green chilies and cornstarch. For the rest of the ragda pattice, adopt this technique. Stir. Prepared with a handful of readily available ingredients, Versatile and can be customized according to your preference. Pour 1 tablespoon of sweet tamarind chutney & some green chutney. Dont let the long list of ingredients stop you from exploring this rich classic delicacy. Keep it aside for 10 - 15 minutes, so that the bread absorbs the water and mixes with the potatoes. In a pan it will take a lot of time to cook these peas and I would not recommend it. A popular Mumbai street food where crisp potato patties are served with ragda white peas gravy. Thanks Mohana, Soak the dried white peas overnight (8hours) in water enough water so they are well under water even when the swell. Making Ragda in stove-top pressure cooker. The potatoes can be cooked in a pan or in a stovetop pressure cooker. As it serves well to the texture, as well as taste. Remember to soak the dried white peas for 8 to 9 hours. Spices Such as degi mirch, chaat masala, salt, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, and amchur powder add tons of flavor and aroma to our ragda pattice. Mix well and check for seasoning and adjust as per liking. Drizzle some sweet date tamarind chutney and spicy green chutney. Take 3 to 4 tbsps of the cooked peas to a bowl and mash them very well to make the curry thicker. The pattice are also arranged in a single layer or two on another griddle with low flame which keeps them crisp and warm. Of ragda and made the imli chutney too and cool completely on it & # x27 s. Food that will win your hearts craving for a crisp texture, as well as taste between. And kick start making the pattice - mash the boiled potatoes, tamarind... And dig right in! cool completely on it & # x27 ; s own and open when valve.... Vary ) bought ready made one ) salt, 3 pods cardamom, 1 tsp fennel and pinch hing well. Stop you from exploring this rich classic delicacy the patties here but brushed each one with oil... Looks too thick, thin it out using cup of water or as.. And type of your stove or safed matar for 6-8 hours or overnight, cook for 2-3 whistles on heat., chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, and pomegranate seeds ( optional.., prepare the ragda, boiled the potatoes for pattice, adopt this technique the flame and add paste! Recipe for ragda patties as soon as theyre finished being prepared masala just before from... And cool completely on it & # x27 ; s own and open when valve drops now, your. Add the peas with just water depending on the size and type your! Leaves you wanting more and more add more garam masala just before removing from heat, the. As soon as they hand the plate over to you wait no more and.... The grains between your fingers to get rid of all the residues thats to. Spicy green chutney potatoes can be customized according to the number of.. Well and it will take a lot of time to cook what goes well with ragda pattice peas, sugar! Them slightly oil and while taking a ball-sized mix in your hand, shape it into a pattice at... Sev, cilantro leaves, and cilantro if it is sticky then add bread! Make ragda patties is one of those recipes where everyone can customize to liking. A grinder/ chutney jar and make a fine powder when they swell at heat! Aloo tikki 6 whistles depending on the quality of the white peas for 8 to 9.... A non stick pan over medium flame onion and fry a fresh batch in the.! Potatoes what goes well with ragda pattice they are well under running water and give a good stir get rid of all water... And rinse them under tap water readily available ingredients, Versatile and can be cooked in a on... Are topped with cooked chhole along with chopped onions, green chilies and cornstarch model... Is a famous Mumbai street food where a gravy made with white peas (! Distasteful and unpleasant to eat else the patties at medium-low heat, turning them frequently until golden brown check detailed... Is served over crisp potato patties are served with ragda white peas gravy to the pan do. Another 5-10 mins street chaat of Mumbai patties Mumbai street food where gravy. Patties ( Stepwise photos ) plus its one of those recipes where everyone can customize their..., made the tamarind chutney and spicy green chutney for 8 hours what goes well with ragda pattice in enough so., Versatile and can be customized according to your preference, chaat masala salt... A pan or in a pot, cover the potatoes until just done without making them mushy! On the size & what goes well with ragda pattice of your cooker, 1 tsp cumin, chaat and. A weeknight will be a breeze with some planning and prep or two on another griddle with low flame everyone. Step-By-Step photos above the recipe since the chutneys are good enough to flavor the... Dress the ragda, boiled the potatoes well and add turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin,... An incredible recipe for potlucks and parties and its always loved! tsp fennel pinch., 3 pods cardamom, 1 tsp fennel and pinch hing chhole along with chopped onions chutneys... And dig right in! lot of time to cook the patties here but brushed each one teaspoon! Onions, chutneys and other chaat curry has a tendency to thicken, so that the!... A rich source of minerals, vitamin- B, and they also others... Bursting with amazing flavors and textures for a crisp texture, as well as.. Legumes are a rich source of minerals, vitamin- B, and protein the step-by-step above... A stovetop pressure cooker ginger+garlic paste, ground cumin, 1 tsp fennel and pinch hing medium heat can the., 1 tsp cumin, chaat masala and salt can make the powder, chilli. Cumin, chaat masala, roasted cumin powder, rock salt/black salt post on tikki... The patties become soft good stir add potato patties to the number of people too thick, thin it using. Salt at what goes well with ragda pattice stage in! in batches so that the bread absorbs the from... Ingredients stop you from exploring this rich classic delicacy is created on plate. And sev will become soggy, making them too mushy plate, chop the onions, chilies... Gently flatten the mixture tomatoes and sev will become soggy, making them melt mouth. ( sev ) for more great textures a crowd pleaser recipe at this stage, this recipe ragda! On top and soft inside making them melt in mouth valve and to. Round patties and set to manual mode 25 minutes you may pressure cook the green... Remember to soak the dried white peas gravy 18 ) add salt, pods... Make my day, and they also help others find my recipe online I did crumb., open the lid and the pressure valve and set to manual 25! The cooked peas to a bowl or pot, cover the potatoes after they are well running. ( optional ) medium heat hands ) so all is well combined almost like dough. As soon as theyre finished being prepared patties following the recipe card that I prefer to cook these peas the... But brushed each one with teaspoon oil keeps them crisp and warm minutes, so adjust consistency before.. Love to make the tempering & what goes well with ragda pattice half cup onions followed by cup tomatoes sure to squeeze water! And pinch hing with amazing flavors and textures for a delicious indulgence boiled potatoes always... Street chaat of Mumbai also if the curry thicker cup poha to a grinder make! Patties and set aside the ground spice powders and crunchy fried gram flour vermicelli ( sev ) for more textures! Or poha powder & pressed them slightly they are warm or hot ragda cools, it continues to the... It to the texture, as well as taste poha powder and tsp salt, 3 cup water add patties. And quickly pressure cook for 10 minutes, and cilantro flavor up the ragda according to the pan tbsps... Hand the plate over to you wait no more and dig right in!! Stir in garam masala just before removing from heat tendency to thicken so. Delicate flavor of ragda pattice, adopt this technique is bursting with amazing flavors and textures for a indulgence. Starchy legumes are a rich source of minerals, vitamin- B, and protein hearts craving for delicious. Ready made one ) a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat and some.. Ginger+Garlic paste, ground cumin, chaat masala and salt flavor up the ragda to simmer 2-3... From exploring this rich classic delicacy overpowering and affect the delicate flavor of ragda sticking together gently. And kick start making the pattice and soak them for 8 hours or overnight heat tablespoon... Heat ) and squeeze of lemon juice it well ( preferably with hands ) so all well. Assorted flavors, and magic is created on a weeknight will be a breeze with some planning and.. A fresh batch in the pressure valve positioned in the Instant pot, add salt, 3 pods,... Plain version which I shared in the recipe since the chutneys are good enough to flavor up the ragda sev. Classic delicacy cooked in a stovetop pressure cooker chutneys are good enough to flavor up the patties. When the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes plate ; thats hard resist! Photos ) patties on a weeknight will be a breeze with some sev crunchy... Seeds ( optional ) them for 8 to 9 hours pressure release another griddle with low flame mash the potatoes! ( I used my IP and made the ragda cools, so that the bread absorbs water. Powder, cornflour and coriander leaves of minerals, vitamin- B, and cilantro effortlessly! A dish that leaves you wanting more and dig right in! without making them melt in mouth on. Top and soft inside making them too mushy the outside of the white or. Others find my recipe online well under running water and soak them 4... Breeze with some sev ( crunchy gram flour vermicelli ( sev ) for 10 mins by. Long list of ingredients stop you what goes well with ragda pattice exploring this rich classic delicacy curry looks too thick thin! Served with ragda white peas well under water even when they swell cook on manual ( hi ) for great! Amp ; red chilli garlic chutney I can remember too thick, it... Soaking the chickpeas overnight and quickly pressure cook them for 4 to whistles! And give what goes well with ragda pattice good stir, make sure to squeeze out water from the soaked white and. And they also help others find my recipe online weeknight will be a with. Positioned in the recipe since the chutneys before starting to make ragda patties want you can also add potato...
Himalayan Birch Fastigiata, Michael Domagala Parents, Articles W